By now it is evident that whether we like it or not, our health is probably the most important thing in our lives right now. COVID-19 showed us that if we don’t have healthy bodies, we shall be vulnerable to all kinds of diseases.
The reason that COVID-19 is such a big deal is that for too long, the world has focused on treating disease rather than improve your health so you can naturally fight off or prevent disease.
Like you all know, most people, probably up to 80 percent will be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. Another 15 percent will have mild to moderate symptoms, and about 5% will go on to have more severe symptoms.
Where do you lie?
COVID-19 only exposes our flawed health care system. Those who are deemed high risk are often those who have chronic health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic asthma and those who are overweight. These are all preventable and reversible. It’s time we take our health and future into our own hands.
Rather than worry endlessly about COVID-19, we should push ourselves into the low-risk category by doing the simple things that can improve our immunity and our wellness in general.
1. Commit to losing that extra weight. If you need help, please get in touch. If you’re reading this and thinking, I really need to lose weight, realise that it’s probably not by chance that you’re reading this. It could be what you’ve been waiting for. When you try to lose weight, you have nothing else to lose besides some extra kilograms.
2. Get regular physical activity. We can all do this. Commit a minimum of three hours from your 168 hour week to boost your immunity. Don’t complicate exercise. Anything that gets your heart rate up consistently counts. Even walking and climbing up a flight of stairs. You can even exercise in your bedroom by walking on the spot, skipping, doing squats, stretches and many other things. If time is a genuine challenge, break down your exercise into shorter sessions of even 7 to 10 minutes. Remember, those who think they have no time for exercise will have to find time for illness.
3. Get enough rest. Why does this generate so much debate? The body requires 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night and time for breaks and rest. This is the time your body uses to repair, heal, recycle useful nutrients and restore our health. Your immune system works many times better when you rest.
4. Reduce stress. While there will always be challenges, stress is not the challenges themselves, but your response to those challenges. Remember you may sometimes have zero control of the situation, but you always have 100% control of your response. By choosing to accept conditions the way they are, deciding to be grateful for what is going well, looking for the positive in any challenge and forgiving, we can all learn to reduce our stress levels. Taking a deep breath is also great for reducing stress. Take 15 deep breaths, twice daily.
5. Eat better. Eat more fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole natural foods. Eat more spices like ginger, garlic, cinnamon and turmeric. And, eat less sugar, sugary foods like cake, soda, ice cream and sweets. Avoid refined grains such as white bread, chapati and definitely avoid processed meat and deep-fried food. There is so much to share about eating healthy food, and I’m sure you have some questions. This topic can be the subject of a whole book. And, yes, fortunately, there is one I have written that is designed to help you Eat Your Way to Wellness. The book has the potential to change your life for the better. But, first, you have to get a copy and then commit to reading it until the end. If you know someone who could benefit from this book, please get them a copy too. Visit my website www.drkasenene.com or www.eatyourwaytowellness.org to learn more. Or click here to make an order. You can also use the flyer below to get in touch. There has never really been a better time to make your health one of your number 1 priorities. Stay safe and be smart. Live a healthy lifestyle. Remember your body is the only place you have to live. Take care of it. Wishing you health and happiness