Updated: Oct 24, 2022
You may be surprised to know that some of the foods we eat daily aren’t good for our health. Here are the five foods or food categories that I recommend you eliminate or restrict from your diet if you want better health.
1. Refined table sugar and drinks made with refined sugar (such as soda and commercial artificially sweetened drinks). Sodas are loaded with sugar and sodium. The phosphoric acid in some sodas like colas can contribute to calcium loss, and artificial sweeteners that are used in diet soft drinks have also been shown to be dangerous.
2. Foods made from refined wheat flour, such as bread, chapati, cake, biscuits, pasta, pizza, doughnuts, mandazi, samosas and other such foods. Refined wheat is devoid of fibre, an essential component of whole wheat. Refined grains lead to blood sugar spikes that can lead to rapid storage of fat and eventually problems like diabetes and obesity. Whole grain bread and foods made from certified whole wheat are not as bad and can be used in moderation.
3. Margarine and refined vegetable oils. In my book EAT YOUR WAY TO WELLNESS, I discussed some of the oils that are considered unhealthy. You can look up that part in the book to get a better understanding. If you don’t have a copy yet visit my book website www.eatyourwaytowellness.org to learn more about the book and how you can order a copy.
However, I specifically advise you to avoid the following oils and foods made with these oils or fats:
Sunflower oil, refined palm oil, corn oil, soybean oil, safflower oil, canola (rapeseed) oil that is not expeller pressed, peanut (groundnut) oil.
Margarine and vegetable shortening. These contain very harmful trans fats or hydrogenated fats. And of course, we must avoid foods made from these products like potato crisps, potato chips, cookies, biscuits, cream-filled sweets, microwave popcorn, and any food that has these unhealthy fats listed on the ingredients
4. Commercially processed meats. We must avoid processed meats, including sausages, bacon, ham, salami, frankfurters, burgers, and other commercially processed meats. This is because these types of meats have been strongly linked to cancer. No one should deliberately eat anything that is classified as cancer-causing. When processed meats are barbecued, roasted, or cooked at high temperatures, the compounds produced (such as poly-aromatic hydrocarbons) make their cancer-causing ability significantly worse.
5. Cow’s milk. This may seem strange and controversial but if you consider the reasons listed here, you will realise that there are good reasons why we should avoid cow’s milk. I explain the reasons a bit comprehensively more in my book. If the explanations here seem to be simplistic or if you want more information on this important area, please do visit Chapter 8 in the book. In summary, we should avoid cow’s milk for the following reasons:
Milk is primarily designed for young animals.
Cow’s milk has too much casein protein and very little micronutrients that we need.
Cow’s milk is very allergenic.
The calcium in cow’s milk has a negative effect on our bones, leading to more calcium loss than gain.
Cow’s milk can increase the risk of several diseases.
Cow’s milk is made for young cows/calves, not human beings. The composition of cow’s milk is considerably different from human breast milk. While cow’s milk may have nutrients like calcium, the composition is best suited for cows and can be harmful to human.
However, cow’s milk products such as yoghurt and ghee can be used in moderation as part of the diet if you would like some dairy. But otherwise, you will be ok without dairy foods.
Removing or limiting these five types of foods alone can make a tremendous difference to your wellness and vitality. Although these five foods constitute a large amount of most people’s daily diets and it may seem like this is almost everything we eat, there is a lot of food away from these five food types. And when you make a sincere effort to avoid these five food types, you will see a quick and dramatic change in your health for the better.
In my book EAT YOUR WAY TO WELLNESS, I share what we can eat as an alternative. Hopefully, you are reading your copy already. If you haven’t begun reading, please do. You can go straight to Chapters 8 and 9 if you want to know what to eat and what not to.
If you don’t have a copy you can or need a copy visit my website www.drkasenene.com, call +256 708 222999 / +256 787 222991 or click here to make an order.
Share this email to help others learn about these five foods we should all be avoiding. Wishing you health and happiness Dr. Paul Kasenene